FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OF $50 OR MORE!
Makes: 4 Servings Prep/Cook Time: 45 minutes
1 packet PVP Onion Soup & Dip Mix
2 large yellow onions, peeled, cut in half and thinly sliced
4 cups water
4 slices hearty bread of your choice, sliced into ½” to 1” thick slices
1 cup vegan cheese of your choice, shredded
2 tablespoons dairy free butter
2 tablespoons flour (use can sub gluten-free)
¼ cup marsala (you can use red wine, as well)
- Preheat oven to 400º
Make the soup:
- In a large heavy-bottomed sauté pan or stock pot, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add onions and sauté for about 30 minutes, stirring every 3-5 minutes. Keep an eye on these as you do not want them to burn. Turn down heat if the onions start to get brown too fast. You want them to get a nice caramel color.
- Stir in flour and cook another minute to cook out the raw flour taste.
- Stir in marsala wine to deglaze the pan, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Add 4 cups of water and PVP Soup and Dip Mix.
- Bring to a boil and then turn down heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Toast bread for 6-8 minutes, or until crunchy and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- Set oven to broil. Place 4 oven safe bowls on a baking sheet.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Place toasted bread on top of soup and your desired amount of shredded cheese (the more the better, hehe!).
- Place in oven about 6” from heat and broil 2-4 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown (keep a very close eye on this…it can burn very quickly!).
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. The bowls will be HOT!!